12/1/16

Zambia part 2

Lilac breasted roller





















The weather continued hot and dry here, but the nights cooled down which made for pleasant sleeping. 


We had a fun "Learning and Discovery" opportunity when we visited a large  open market.




 Sku, our tour manager, gave us each a name tag with an African name on it.  Our "mission" was to approach the people in the market and strike up a conversation with them to find out more about our assigned names.  English is the official language in Zambia, so that wasn't a problem.  Of course, I "targeted" school-age children and young adults, some of them in school uniforms.  They laughed and laughed as we asked for their help.  I'm sure we were the only non-Africans in the entire market.  But I discovered my two names meant "mother of (African name)".  So I told them I must be more important than my husband who only had one name. They quickly replied that Mel's name meant "chief".  Oh well......



Kafue National Park is home to some 500 bird species, most of which I'd never heard of before.  Unfortunately, my phone's camera isn't up to "shooting" birds, so I'm borrowing a few of Mel's photos.








Bee-eater








Yellow-billed hornbill

No comments:

Post a Comment